Preparing to become a Volunteer
To become a Home-Start Calderdale volunteer you must complete our Volunteer Preparation Course. This course runs at least five times a year in different locations around Calderdale.
Each session on the course is once a week for four hours and runs for ten weeks in total. Most preparation courses run between Monday to Friday 10am to 2pm, however once a year we run a preparation course on a Saturday for those who cannot make it during the week. If you are interested in attending a Saturday course, please do let us know. Forthcoming prep dates can be found here
If you would like us to send you a Volunteer Information Pack, please call 01422 242124 or submit a form on the contact page. However, if you would like to download the information for yourself, please click on the relevant sections below. All downloads are in a pdf format.
Each session covers a different area of volunteering with Home-Start and supporting a family in need.
- Session 1: Introduction
- Session 2: Communication Skills
- Session 3: Values and Attitudes
- Session 4: Family Life - Parents and Children
- Session 5: Family Life - Stress Factors 1
- Session 6: Family Life - Stress Factors 2
- Session 7: Confidentiality
- Session 8: Safeguarding Children
- Session 9: Commitment, Boundaries and Support
- Session 10: Home Visiting Mechanisms, Evaluations and Endings